Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What's for dinner?

Wouldn't you love to know? ;)
I sure would!

I usually plan meals for the week from Wednesday to Tuesday. I like to grocery shop on Wednesdays, to get the best deals at Sprouts(aka Henry's, with their double ad Wednesdays) and then I head to good 'ole Trader Joe's to grab the rest of the essentials (mainly bags of lettuce, spinach, and the occasional pizza dough-they have best dough, for only $1.79!).

I started planning meals for the week after I saw this DIY menu planner on design sponge. It was such great, easy tutorial that really helped me plan the meals out. The ingredients necessary for each recipe were including in each day. It helped me to only buy what I need and make sure that I use what I already have in my pantry or fridge.


So, what's for dinner?
This week I tried a few new recipes from the Pioneer Woman...and put a healthier spin on them, by using less butter or adding more veggies. The great thing about PW's recipes and blog posts is that they are always flexible to add, subtract or substitute similar ingredients for whatever you have on hand...lovely!

I also tried making a freezer crock pot meal that I saw on pinterest from this blog. It was super easy and tasty! I bought all of the ingredients on Wednesday and prepped the veggies, chicken and spices and mixed them in a freezer gallon bag. I didn't have the curry spice that the recipe called for, so I used a mix of tumeric, garam masala, and cumin and it tasted just as wonderful as I imagine the curry would :) Sometimes you just have to be flexible and improvise!

This week's recipes included:
Chicken Curry-Freezer crock pot meal
Leftover tuna pesto pasta (with all ingredients shopped from our pantry!)
Take-and-Bake garlic chicken alfredo pizza-yumOH!
Chicken Spaghetti-Pioneer Woman

I'll be sharing more of my favorite recipes, reviews of recipes, and other meal planning ideas/tips. I hope you enJOY and come back for more!

agape,
Meg

2 comments:

  1. I didnt know you had a blog, I'm so excited! I am all about menu planning and I am always looking for ways to make it easier :) I love pioneer woman too (I followe her on twitter, she is hilarious) and I am loving skinnytaste thanks to Jen's reccommendation! I should post more cooking stuff on my blog :) I am praying about how to keep up with good healthy cooking once I go back to work... Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Heather! miss you too :) Definitely share your cooking on the blog...and let me know if you ever need help with the cooking ideas for when you go back to work! I'd love to help :)

    ReplyDelete